Saturday 19 July 2014

Margate Matters - Some observations on the resort

Margate has been on my list of places to visit, primarily to see David Chipperfield's Turner Contemporary gallery, along with a general lookabout.

The Gallery did not disappoint me, although one resident did say it was viewed as a "Concrete Bunker", but also added that it had brought a lot of visitors to the town.
Alongside this Margate has been the home of Dreamland, one of the earliest Amusement Parks, which was closed in 2006, and plans were laid to demolish it and build housing. This caused an uproar, and The Dreamland Trust emerged from the campaign, working with partners to secure £12m public funding to restore Dreamland and its jewels: the Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Grade II listed cinema complex and Grade II-listed menagerie cages.

A proposed opening date of 2015 has been mooted, but there seems an awful lot to do before that can happen.

Margate has a neglected air, as so many seaside resorts have, in their heyday they would have been beautiful, filled with holidaymakers from the manufacturing centres nearby, but that has obviously changed and new ways have to be found to bring people in, "Cultural Tourism" being a successful means.

On to the pictures, again a motley crew, architecture and the like forming most of the catch, the resort's nature did not make for people shots, (the children thing). So in the mix I have monochrome and colour, a no no for many, but what the heck, I choose shots I like, & process them to what I think suits the image.


My First Shot


Dreamland Promotion Display

Turner Contemporary


I always love concrete

The View from Turner Gallery



Action Men, boys dolls.



Reflections


A National Institution


He wanted me to photograph him


Wonderful design


In a shop window....

Conversation







Add caption















Tidal Pool









1 comment:

  1. Really like this set David - makes me want to pay a visit

    ReplyDelete